Outlook 2010 hangs after the upgrade
So, you have a situation and your Outlook 2010 hangs after the upgrade, this upgrade can be – an upgrade when you upgrade from Windows 7 Home Basic to Windows ultimate, an upgrade where you upgraded your Outlook from Outlook 2007 to Outlook 2010. The issue is reported that after the upgrade, when you launch it for the first time and it takes forever to start. That’s annoying, isn’t it?
Compatible with Outlook 2000, 2002, 2003, 2007, 2010, 2013 and supports Windows 8, 7 (32-bit/64-bit), Vista (32-bit/64-bit ), 2003, XP, 2000, NT4 (SP6).
When you try to launch it for the first time, it reportedly says – “preparing for the first use, this may take a few minutes” or something similar to that. After a while it says – “processing” and that takes forever and you are left to think, what now? What do I do? You might also think – what did I do? And many such questions boggle your mind. Although, you may or may have already tried cancelling and/or restarting the program, but most of the time that doesn’t result in anything fruitful.
You can also try restarting your system even; it may sometimes work, and sometimes may not do the trick. Before moving on to the resolution part – it is advisable that one should not upgrade the disturbed version of Outlook, for instance – let’s assume you are noticing some problem in your Outlook 2007, and you upgraded your Outlook to Outlook 2010 in the hope that upgrading Outlook 2007 to Outlook 2010 will resolve the problem, but this is a wrong notion among users, and that doesn’t help actually, in fact the upgraded version of the Outlook, it doesn’t matter whether it is Outlook 2007 or Outlook 2010, may not work at all.
It is advisable that you should watch out for the size of your .pst file, and you must keep it light.
Talking about things, you should do to fix “Outlook 2010 hangs after the upgrade” error, these are the ones worth noting –
- Try starting Outlook 2010 in safe mode, just to check if the problem is caused by some add-ins, and if that works good, then disable the add-ins. To do that, Click File Menu > Options link> Navigate to add-ins options. Select Disabled items and click go. After that, you will be able to see the disabled add-ins and you can re-enable as well. You can simply select the ones you wish to re-enable and click Enable.
- If the above step doesn’t work, then you have got to make sure that Outlook 2010 is not running in compatibility mode, you can do that by following these steps –
- Locate C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14 Outlook.exe
- Right-click Outlook.exe; followed by Properties.
- On the compatibility tab, click to clear Run this program in compatibility mode for check box.
- Hit OK, and try starting the Outlook again.
Hopefully, the issue “Outlook 2010 hangs after I upgraded from Outlook 2007 to Outlook 2010” should be solved by now, but if your Outlook 2010 still plays, then it is advisable to go for a ready-made tool, popularly known as Outlook PST Repair tool, it is especially designed to deal with such problem occurring in Outlook, and to answer issues which may be structured by you, like – Outlook 2010 hangs after I upgraded from Outlook 2007 to Outlook 2010, how to fix Outlook 2010 if it hangs just after the upgrade, or Outlook 2010 hangs after the upgrade, for that matter.